Did you know that in the month of May, many animal welfare organizations are even more focused than usual on providing food for animals in need? Of course, this is a year-round problem, but this month we’re looking at ways to really step up our efforts to make a difference for homeless and needy pets, and we’d love to offer a few simple ways that you too can get involved. Here are just a few ideas:
- If your house is anything like mine, you probably have some unopened food that perhaps your own pets won’t eat. I can promise you that your local animal shelter or pet rescue would be grateful for the donation;
- How about organizing a pet food drive? This is a great activity for your child’s school, your church, the company where you work, even your neighborhood to take part in because it can make such a difference for hungry animals.
- Similar to a food drive, consider setting up donation stations at local businesses, churches, grocery stores, and other places where your friends and neighbors are sure to visit.
- Do you have a local pet food pantry? Consider making a donation this month. Click here to see a listing of a few pantries through the United States. If you don’t see your state there, try Googling to find one in your area. If there’s no local pet food pantry, reach out to people food pantries; they often distribute pet food, too.
- If you own your own business, how about giving discounts or small gifts to customers who bring in pet food donations throughout the month?
It’s so easy to make a difference for hungry pets, and often it doesn’t cost that much – if anything at all. But it does take all of us getting involved and giving a little bit of ourselves to help those who aren’t as blessed as we are.
What will you do to support homeless and needy pets this month? We’d love for you to leave a comment below, or feel free to connect with us on our Facebook page!